Here are 10 tips how to make great Street Photography and portraits in the sandy and sunny areas of the world – at beaches:
1. Get to Know the Beach – Before you start taking beach portraits, it’s important to become familiar with the beach and the culture of beachgoers. Find out if there are any beach rules or restrictions. Research what time of day is best for beach photography. Learn about beach safety and identify areas that have good lighting for photographs.
2. Choose a Complementary Clothing Color Scheme – When shooting beach portraits, remember to consider clothing colors when styling your subjects. Choose colors that coordinate with the beach setting and will stand out in photos. Opt for bright shades like blues, oranges, yellows, and greens for a vibrant beachy look or neutrals like white and tan for an elegant feel.
3. Use Natural Light – When taking beach portraits, natural light is essential. Utilize the beach’s golden hour or soft morning light to capture beautiful beach shots. Position your subjects in a way so that they are facing the sunlight and avoid backlight if at all possible.
4. Pay Attention to Camera Settings – Once you’re ready to start shooting beach portraits, pay close attention to camera settings such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance. Adjusting these settings will help ensure your beach photos look their best.
5. Capture Moments of Interaction – Capturing moments of interaction between beachgoers can create an interesting set of beach photographs. Look for people playing in the sand together or interacting with beach objects such as beach balls or umbrellas.
6. Get Closer – When taking beach photographs, don’t be afraid to get closer to your subject. This will create an intimate portrait that captures the emotion of the beach moment more effectively than a wider shot.
7. Take Advantage of Props – There are plenty of beach props you can use in beach portraits including beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, and sand buckets. These props can add visual interest and help set the beachy mood for your photos.
8. Look for Captivating Details – While beach portraits should capture people’s faces and interactions, look around for interesting details that you can photograph too. Pay attention to beach elements such as textures, colorful beach umbrellas, flip flops, and beach towels.
9. Shoot from Different Angles – When taking beach portraits, try shooting from different angles for a more interesting set of photographs. Move around your subjects and experiment with different perspectives like overhead shots or low angle shots.
10. Use Post-Processing Editing Tools – After you’ve taken beach portraits, use post-processing tools to make them look their best. Upgrade color saturation and contrast levels using editing software such as Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop.
Beach photography is a great way to capture beautiful memories of summer days spent at the beach with your loved ones. It’s important to research beach rules, use natural light, and choose complementary clothing colors when shooting beach portraits. Additionally, pay attention to camera settings and take advantage of props for an interesting beachy look. Lastly, shoot from different angles and utilize post-processing tools to make your beach photographs look their best. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to create stunning beach portraits that will preserve the beauty of beach life forever.